Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Who Should Be Nervous?
I've had a hard time focusing for a few days. We got Rachel all registered for school and she's honestly really excited about it starting. She's looking forward to seeing some of the friends she doesn't see over the summer and starting the new adventure of middle school. She's always enjoyed school, so I've never worried too much about that. And all the "orientation" stuff they've done for the incoming 6th graders has really put her at ease. So what's up with mom? Well, I think I'm nervous for her. This is a new world, a new challenge. I can't be there to coddle her (which, of course, is the best thing). I'm not well known at this school, though the vice principal knows me by sight, just not my name, and that gives me some comfort. And at orientation, she was recognized as the student that reads all the time because we've gone to a number of things there and she's had a book in her face. So, all good, right? So maybe my nerves are a bit more for me. I was well known at her grade school because I worked there for three years, volunteered for the 3 years before that and one of my jobs there was very "High Profile", shall we say. I know a few of the active PTCO mom's at the middle school, but I'm primarily stepping into new ground, too. And I don't do as well as my child does with that. Plus, I've stepped right in to volunteering a little (I won't do much because I don't know what the future holds work-wise for me). I'm going in on Tuesday mornings to work in the "School Store". I'm not entirely sure what it is. I think they sell supplies for kids who find themselves without first thing in the morning. You know, pencils, paper, pens and such. Then I'll be going in once a week to do copying for the office. That's about a two hour deal. The first three days of school I agreed to stand at the entrance of the lunch area to help kids rememeber their "code" numbers for lunch payment. Not bad. Not a lot of stuff to do. Still, I'm nervous. Guess I should grow up, eh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment