I got up at 4:30 a.m. this morning and worked out (I'll be heading to bed very soon - yawn). I got Rachel up and we walked to the bus stop. The bus was so full the kids were sitting three to a seat *humpf*. Not liking that. Anyway, the bus drove away and I chatted with a couple of women I worked with last year at my daughter's grade school. I walked home, ran the dog and then worked a little on my book. At some point, I suddenly realized I was due at the school to volunteer in the lunch line in 10 minutes, giving kids their codes for payment. I hurried out the door and spent the next 2 & 1/2 hours on my feet. It felt like a work day and when I got home I iced them and put them up until I had to meet the bus she came home on.
I saw a lot of the kids from last year who for whatever reason thought I would know where their classes were, what time their lunch was, etc. I felt inadequate and vowed to get some additional info so I could be more help the next two days while I volunteer doing the same thing. A teacher asked me about a student struggling through her day after being told I know her well and I hope I helped with that. I heard a lot of "hi's" from kids who knew me last year and I hope it gave some that might be scared or struggling a little comfort to see a familiar face. I watched a number of eighth graders make me dread that coming year and a few I thought would become/are remarkable young people. All in all, I felt like I am getting to know my daughter's new school.
Tomorrow I work in the school "store" where kids can buy supplies they are missing. It's just for 1/2 an hour. Then I'll be back to do the lunch thing again. I hope my feet survive this....
The dog is exhausted. I've got one more form to finish that my daughter brought home tonight and then I'm off to bed. I have to say, it was a good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment