Okay, today was my last day volunteering at lunch time and, thankfully, it was only with the sixth graders. It was short and pleasant. I did find a girl crying as she came down the hall and put my arm around her and asked if she was okay. She really started crying then, saying it was her first day and she was just having a bad day. So I went over her schedule with her and told her where the classes were. She was a sixth grader and was about to come to lunch, so by the time she came in the lunch line, she was doing a lot better. I also checked up on a girl I knew last year who was struggling the first 2 days. She has issues that she is medicate for but needs things to be orderly to cope. She was very depressed and upset for 2 days and her home room teacher even discussed her with me. She's a lot better and just upset because she doesn't have an I.D. yet and has to have a temporary one which they keep spelling her name wrong on. I took her to security and got that worked out for her. I was glad I could be there for both of these girls and all the kids that knew me at the elementary school because I think it was reassuring to them. That's always a good feeling. I wrapped up my time there giving my daughter a hug and chatting with her for a moment.
When she got home today, she was still thrilled with school, loving all her classes and all her teachers and enjoying the changes from elementary school. I am so grateful for that. I hope all of middle school feels this wonderful to her.
2 comments:
I wish you could be working at Sam's school. The move was going so smoothly until school started, and now she really REALLY misses the old school. Ugh.
She'll adjust. She's such a wonderful kid. I wish I could be there for her, too, though. Give her a hug from Rachel and I.
Post a Comment