Modernized Scriptures?????
I was looking through a catalog (I refer to them as 'dream books') and saw this plaque that said:
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I thought, what a cool quote, but I swear that doesn't look familiar to me at all. So I looked at the itty, bitty, tiny print - then had Rachel read it for me because I couldn't - to find it referenced Jeremiah 29:11. This is what is says in the King James version, the most commonly used Christian version of the Bible:
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."
Yeah, pretty close. I think it says He knows us inside and out, our true hearts, our deepest thoughts and loves us beyond our own understanding. Does He desire good for us? For us to prosper and delight in our lives? That our thoughts and days be filled with peace - the inner peace that a surety of faith can give us? I believe that answer is yes. And that this message offers hope for the future or that expected end in our return to live with our Heavenly Father.
Okay, I'm no scholar, obviously. I learn largely by my heart and when I read that plaque, I wanted to read the actual scripture because I like what it says. And I found out I like what the actual scripture says. But I like the way the actual scripture says it.
No comments:
Post a Comment