Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sleeping the Day Away

Literally. That's what I did today. Every so often, I feel really worn out and I stay in my robe and lay around all day. Forget the filthy house that needs a cleaning. Forget the dishes, laundry, taking out the trash, whatever. I just need to sleep. So I got up at 8 a.m. and then laid on the couch from about 11 a.m. until, oh.....maybe 4 p.m. when I got up to see if Rachel had gotten her own lunch. Isn't that awful? But she had occupied her time with the computer and stuff and didn't even realize I was sleeping most of that time. I did make her dinner......Yeah, I feel better about things now - lol.


Recently, there has been a video on the news of a number of girls attacking and beating another teenage girl in one of their homes. It was video taped with plans to place it on YouTube or some other Internet avenue. Instead, it's on the news and these girls and two boys who stood as lookouts are all charged in the crime. Watching it, I am appalled. I was even more so when it was stated that this beaten girl suffered a concussion, eye and ear damage from the beating. And what topped it all was a fool of a mother (or so she calls herself) who stated this girl "had it coming". Such a statement gave a bit of understanding to why at least one of these criminals did what she did and felt justified. She had no decent example or expectation set for her. Apparently, none of these teens did.

You don't have to be a Christian to have good, decent standards and morals that you live by. I have known people who do without having any religious base for it. But those who are Christian or call themselves so, have the ultimate example set for them (us). This quote from Leo Tolstoy speaks to just that:

For us, with the rule of right and wrong given us by Christ, there is nothing for which we have no standard.

Despite that, children must be taught to live by that example. We are all imperfect in our own ways, but should strive to be an example to our children as best we can. I know I have failed at that many times, but I also know that my daughter has been blessed to have the examples set for her by other where I have failed because of who she/we surround ourselves with in our lives. I'm grateful to all those people in her life who have taught her goodness, kindness and decency when I have failed to do so.

2 comments:

bell said...

They have showed that same video here and a couple of other similar ones here that happened in Australia. It really is a sad reflection on society when someone will watch and or film someone else getting beaten and think its funny and post it on the internet.
One mother of a girl in a similar situation hurled foul mouthed abuse and hit the other mother when asked why her daughter was bullying others.. no wonder the daughter had no remorse, her mother had no moral compass herself.
hugs bell :)

Kerri said...

It's a sad but real fact, I think. These seem to be the parents that "just can't understand" why their child did this or that terrible thing....If they even realize it's terrible!
Hugs,
K