Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Writing

I missed blogging. I missed writing what I was thinking, feeling, experiencing. Writing is a big stress reliever for me. It's a creative outlet. It's medicine for my soul. Every blog or journal I've started in the last few years always has the same quote (I collect them) because it speaks to me about what keeping a journal is all about:

When I write down my thoughts, they do not escape me. This action makes me remember my strength. - Isidore Ducasse

Isidore was a French poet in the mid 1800's. I cannot say I am a fan of his work, but I love this quote.

Years ago, I was given The Optimist Creed. It's been so many years that I don't recall who the person was that gave it to me. Lately, it's been on my mind a lot (and hangs on the door of my desk/cabinet. I don't know who wrote it but this is what it says:

Promise Yourself:

To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as your are about your own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too nobel for anger, too strong for fear and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

I know I don't live all of these all of the time and some of them I have never managed to live, but I love the idea of it and keep it on my desk as a reminder whenever I need it - which is regularly.

No comments: