Monday, April 28, 2008

Getting a Little Lift

I did something BIG for me on Friday. I shared the first 42 pages of my story with a teacher at school that I highly respect and who was an amazing mentor to Rachel last year. Today, she stopped me in the hall and told me she absolutely LOVED IT! I got chills. I blushed terribly. I was really excited. I'd asked her to go ahead and edit it for me and she only found 2 things. One sentence I knew needed work but I hadn't sorted it out yet and one misspelled word. Anyway, she told me that she got her cup of coffee this weekend, sat down in a comfortable chair and started to read and a little way into it, the phone rang. It was her daughter. She told her she'd call her back. She said she really wanted to read more and not be interupted and that told her that she was really enjoying the book. She wants more pages. I am more pleased and excited than I can imagine. She also asked me if I'd done research for the book (I had) and that she found the historical aspect very interesting and that it added a wonderful element to the story. Okay, here's another cool, exciting thing she said, "Maybe they would want to make it into a movie, too." I am jumping up and down inside with excitement. I can't wait to finish it.

I feel so good about this book. I feel good about it because I prayed about something I could do while staying at home that would make a significant difference in our family's situation financially. After praying for a long time and listening for a long time, what came to me was, "I gave you this talent, use it. Write a book." So I started working on it - first as short stories that I began to bring together and then letting my main character tell me the story. I'm not done, but I'm close and I believe this book will sell and do well. I can hardly wait to see how it turns out.

2 comments:

Vern said...

AWESOME!!

Kerri said...

Thank! Cory is on the reader's list.