Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Most Important Thing

I don't know about you, but I rate a lot of things as Very Important. Family, friends, work, helping people, reading, writing on my book and so on. But what I rarely mention but know to be true is that the most important thing is really: my spirituality, faith, covenants I've made with God, ect. Everything else in my world and life center completely around that. All I have is a gift from God. All I am capable of, I am capable of because of God. Yet lately, that's sort of been on the back burner. Well, throughout my whole life it has been up and down on how much of my time I give to it. But lately, we've hardly made it to church. Not because we don't want to, but because things seem to interfer with it. For instance, on two different Sunday's, we've had to either take Jay to work or pick him up from it smack at the time we would be going to church. There are bus options, but on these two days, not options that worked with when he got in, how much stuff he was having to haul home or when he had to be there. On the return home trip, he'd been gone on a very long route and had lots and lots of stuff to haul home - dirty laundry, books on tape due back to the library, ect. So riding the bus would have been a nightmare. On the trip to work, he got a call at the last minute and it was all we could do to get him out the door and to work in time. Last Sunday, a Daddy starved Rachel nearly broke down in tears not wanting to go to Sunday School because she would be away from Jay, whom we've seen very, very little of lately. So we stayed just for Sacrament (church service). This morning, having spent two days cleaning furiously, doing laundry, running errands and sleeping on our airbed that sprung a leak in the center bladder on my side, I woke up barely able to walk and with a throbbing headache. I'd actually been having to fill the airbed every night only to wake up to it having flattened for about four days. All of these things contributed to my back just having all it could take, I guess. Jay patched the bed today (he got in early this morning and took the bus home, a two hour ordeal) and I went back to bed on a firm mattress. When I got up, I was much better with just a twinge in my low back but the headache returning. We stayed home. But I wanted to cry because I KNOW we need that spiritual feeding every week. We have a three day weekend next week with Friday off from school, so I'm certain we will make it and I have already told Rachel we MUST stay for the whole thing from now on. She knows, understands and wants to anyway. Jay knows, too.

I just don't want to be complacent in this. For someone who hasn't found their truth, making a commitment to ones faith might not seem important. But to someone who has, it's a huge matter. Not one of guilt or regret, but of understanding what it does for your happiness, your soul, your day to day coping and your outer as well as inner appearance. A quote I have on my fridge says:

Seven days without reading the scriptures makes one weak.

Well, I think that applies to attending church, prayer, living as faithfully as you can. So right now, I feel a bit spiritually weak. Next week, I know that well will be filled again.

2 comments:

Vern said...

I was wondering what happened to you guys today - I thought about calling, but decided not to harrass you. I know, wasn't that nice of me? I hope things start looking up very soon!!

Kerri said...

Thanks, Kristy. Me, too.