It's a song with a bunch of verses about zoo animals. Really. We always sing it on our way to the zoo. It was written by Tom Paxton in the late '60's and also recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary.
Rachel LOVES the zoo. So do I. But I really enjoy watching my animal-loving daughter read about and observe these creatures that she finds so fascinating. And we had a great day there. Lots of fun animal activity. She loved going into the lorikeet exhibit and feeding the birds some nectar. She went in alone while I watched her because I'm not that fond of birds that are loose (I blame Alfred Hitchcock's movie, The Birds). I went into the bird house with her, but I'm not comfortable in there. Usually Jay takes her in and I wait outside for them. But, since he wasn't home today, I bucked up. Since the lorikeet exhibit is open, I just closely watched her from outside while she went in there alone. There was a lot of activity today. Two baby giraffes were chasing each other, kicking their hind legs at each other. The tiger was roaring. The two male gorillas (my favorites, along with the polar bears) were fun. One was sitting at the glass beside Rachel and kept looking at her while he ate. The other threw a tantrum after a lot of people had gathered to watch them. He ran around and threw things at the glass. The Golden Lion Tamarins had two mothers with little babies on their backs. The river otters were active and swimming around. The wolves were out, as were the artic foxes and the warthogs. They are all more rare to see. The two male lions were laying right up at the glass so we could see them close up. Just a lot of activity since it was a cool day and a little overcast. We were exhausted but had a lot of fun.
Rachel's been to two birthday parties since we've been on Spring Break. One was Saturday and was a Harry Potter theme, marvelously done by my very creative friend for her daughter's twelfth birthday. The other was Tuesday at a place called Monkey Bizness and, of course, after going to that with equipment caked with other kids' viruses, Rachel came home with a sore throat. Thankfully, it seemed to pass overnight. She always comes home not feeling well from places like that. But she had a good time climbing, running, sliding and running some more.
Monday was the 'cats to the vet' day for shots. Rachel was a really amazing help and handled her own cat very well. We'll take the dog in when Jay is home - first because she's a little more difficult for me to handle since I can't pick her up and also because we have some issues to discuss with the vet. She's only 7 years old, but she's getting very crippled up in her back legs - to the point she doesn't want to be touched anywhere but her head and face when we pet her. I worry it's cancer or something serious. So it will need to be a family visit to the vet, I think. Just in case.
Thursday we are cleaning this pit of a house, getting Rachel's teeth cleaned in the afternoon and then I had better get to baking the bread I've planned to for 2 weeks now. I've got the buttermilk for some Irish soda bread and it won't stay good much longer. Plus, I've got some turned banana's for banana nut, banana chocolate chip, creamy banana (made with cream cheese) and banana cinnamon bread. I make all the bread over a day or two and then freeze most of it. Friday I get my teeth cleaned in the morning and then we'll go see a dollar movie or two with her best friend. Jay should be home Friday night or Saturday morning and we'll go from there.
I have to say, I'm dreading going back to school Monday. I've really enjoyed this week so far to do special things and work on my book.
So, my thought for today is on a scripture I have stuck on my computer cabinet door (yeah, I have a LOT of stuff on it):
I will not forget thee. I have graven thee upon the palms of My hands. - Isaiah 46:15-16
Sometimes life seems overwhelming - even so overwhelming that we feel forsaken, forgotten by God. But just as we cannot turn our backs on our own children God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, cannot turn His back on us. This is on my cabinet door so I am reminded of it every time I sit down here to remind me of just that.
No comments:
Post a Comment