Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Quotes

If you know me very well, you know I collect quotes. I have many and when I run into new, good ones, I want to note them and share them. Here are a couple from a blog I regularly read (really LOVE this first one):

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "HOLY COW, what a ride!"

--unknown

"I don't think there's anything exceptional or noble in being philanthropic. It's the other attitude that confuses me."

--Paul Newman

"How much larger your life would be if your self could become smaller in it; if you could really look at other men with common curiosity and pleasure. … You would break out of this tiny and tawdry theatre in which your own little plot is always being played, and you would find yourself under a freer sky, and in a street full of splendid strangers."

--G. K. Chesterton

"The best thing to hold onto in life is each other."

--Audrey Hepburn

"I can remember what flavor of ice cream cone my grandmother and I shared at Disneyworld; but most of the time, I can't remember what day it is. I guess it depends on what you think is important."


--Katherine, age 13

"People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than the honesty."

--Richard J. Needham

“Difficult times have helped me to understand better than before, how infinitely rich and beautiful life is in every way, and that so many things that one goes worrying about are of no importance whatsoever...”

--Isak Dinesen

"Women wish to be loved without a why or a wherefore; not because they are pretty or good, or well-bred, or graceful, or intelligent, but because they are themselves."

--Henri Frederic Amiel

"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all other virtues."

-- Cicero

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."

--Henry David Thoreau

No comments: