Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Two Tragedies Side by Side

My last post was of the fire at a friend's house and the resulting loss of their dog who crawled to a back bathroom in an attempt to flee and died there. I've spoken to one of the family members this morning and their faith and strength is amazing to me. Jay is going over to help salvage things tonight after work. Then I checked my e-mail and found their next door neighbor, another friend, lost their ill, infant grandson yesterday. It's just heart-wrenching, but again, their faith is so great and I am left to wonder how anyone without a spiritual support system can cope with such challenges, such great loss. Both of these families have been huge support systems to us during our unemployment and financial struggles. I can't imagine having NOT had them there. Now I just hope we can return this precious service in their times of need.

The grandson, Dexter, was only 3 months old and had struggled since birth. It's remarkable to me what a blessing such a short life can be in the lives of those around him, but it is so clear reading his mother's blog and listening to his grandmother speak about him that he has been that and so much more. Our family sends prayers of comfort to these friends and hope we are able to help in some way, just as we have been helped and have seen them help others.

No comments: