Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fireworks, as Promised - Every Year

We got married in a fever - so the song goes. We'd planned an October wedding (the closest date to Jay's birthday in an effort to help him remember it- HA), but we couldn't wait. Okay, well circumstances brought us to a point where we really needed to marry sooner. But I couldn't whip it all together that quickly. So, we had a small ceremony with just my parents as witnesses (Jay's mom lived out of state at the time) on a hillside in Estes Park by the stone ruins of an old hotel. It was beautiful. Jay wore a suit and I bought a beautiful full skirt, lacy tank top and silky blouse all in white. A female Justice of the Peace married us. She is often mistaken for a sister by people who see the pictures which completely cracks us up. And the date? July 4, 1994. He promised me fireworks on our wedding night and then every year after on our anniversary and he's kept it. Well, he's had a lot of help.

I used to introduce Jay as my first husband, pause and then add he was also my second and third husband because we've had 3 ceremonies. I can assure you I got some strange looks both with the first husband comment and then the others. The July 4th one we celebrate, the October 8, 1994 big one I could have lived without (it was so stressful and I was all on my own planning, decorating and pulling it together with a rather uncooperative spouse) and then sealed in the temple April 24, 1997.

He's missed the last couple of years anniversaries because of work. I expected he would miss this year, too. But then he called me and told me he was on his way home and wouldn't be going back to work until Monday night. I was so surprised and happy, I just burst into tears. And it was a wonderful weekend. We were peaceful, had fun with a picnic at a park with our dog and daughter while we listened to the symphony and then an Air Academy band. At dark, we watched a really nice display of fireworks. And once again, we celebrated our anniversary with his promise kept. Fourteen years and it seems like so much longer. For all our problems in the past, I can hardly remember my life before him. We spent no money - just wrote each other a love letter and enjoyed the day. It was the best anniversary I can remember. Wouldn't mind a few more just like it. With the fireworks, of course!

No comments: