I've made sure that I'm working my 3 days a week even if school is out so far - okay, I've only been working about 3 weeks, but still. I'm used to being a woman of leisure who writes on her book all day while mold developes around the kitchen sink and the dog sneaks up on the couch for the fifth time that day. I really LOVED working when I was single. I was a workaholic and I could bask in the glory of my achievements and exceptional work ethic. I'm not kidding. I was amazing (and just take this in because I don't tend to have the self-esteem to brag about myself very often). Now I'm getting really good, positive feedback at my new job. Stuff like, "We love that you're catching on so quickly and you do such a great job. You're really thorough. You've really helped us start catching up." ECT. It makes me feel great because I'm getting that feedback without working myself to death like I did when I had no family to clean up after, cook meals for and do their mounds of never ending laundry - something Rachel likes to collect in her bathroom and bedroom, all of it on the floor. So when we had this four day weekend come up, I decided instead to take it. I'm so glad I did because I over scheduled myself for the first couple of days and I really, really want to carve out more time to work on my book (and blog, apparently). Technically, I don't need to be back at work until Wednesday. But I may go in Tuesday anyway. We'll see how much I get done over the next 3 days.
My mom fell and broke her hip. This fall happened about six days ago. They took her in for x-rays and saw nothing. She came home. The pain progressed, so my sister (whom my parents live with) took her back again. They put her on some pain meds - the kind that make my normally relatively nice mother a very, very cranky, nasty, screaming person. It was not fun. But still, the pain progressed. They redid the x-rays, much more thorough this time, and found the hip fractured clean through. They hadn't seen it before because depending on her position, it didn't separate so it would show up. Saturday morning she is scheduled to have surgery. It's only a 30 minute one and the real work is in recovery, but I feel like things will be okay.
Yesterday, Thursday, Rachel went for the first time to do baptisms for the dead. For those non-members that read, we believe that when people pass and have not had the opportunity to hear the gospel on this earth or are unable to accept it, we can perform these ordinances for them and they can make an informed decision in the afterlife, or spirit world. Our youth, once they are twelve years old, have the opportunity to do this for those people and this is the basis of our genealogy work. Yesterday, Rachel did a number of baptisms and also for some family members - My grandmothers on both my parent's sides, my great grandmother and great, great grandmother on my mother's side. One of the young men we are very fond of did my grandfather's on both sides and my great grandfather on my mother's side. In the process of getting this information together so Rachel could do this work, I found there is another relative who is also a member of the church in California who has done work for ancestors beyond these names on my mother's side. It's very exciting and I plan to contact him and see where his branch comes into my family. Anyway, the entire experience was very spiritual, emotional and beautiful for both Rachel and I as I got to be there and witness it.
Okay, that's about as caught up as I can get for now. I still the bulk of my house to clean - Waaaaaa.
No comments:
Post a Comment