I never wanted to be one of those mom's that push their kids. I think for the most part I have really stepped away from that even though it has felt so important that Rachel bring in good grades by doing her very best. But I've noticed I'm getting more and more harsh on my daughter over her grades at school.
Here's the deal: She's in all advanced classes. She's in them because she's smart and she's finally getting some real challenges in school. She's had straight A's most of the time so far this year. However, lately the grades have started to drop somewhat (to B's in 2 classes and some A+'s down to A's). I'm trying hard to figure it out and, thankfully, the district provides this amazing internet system called Power School which has allowed me to check and follow up on grades on a daily basis. But it's also made me into "one of those".
Here's what we've figured out: Rachel LOVES to read. It is rare to see her without a book in her hands. She reads at every opportunity in school. She is supposed to read for 10 minutes in Language Arts and for all of Literacy Block. But she's also into her book during classes anytime she thinks she's got spare time. Okay. That's fine. But she's missing turning in work because she's not listening to the teachers tell them to turn things in. Also, she just gets unorganized (which is why she's in AVID and Approaches to Learning) and then can't locate papers she needs to turn in. They go in late and so she only gets 1/2 credit.
What that means: She is totally capable of doing better than she is. She is totally capable of bringing in ALL A's at the very least and probably all A+'s.
What I've done: I'm in e-mail touch with her teachers every time something like this happens. I've taken all computer privileges from her on school nights. I make her go through her homework notebook every morning to remind her what needs to be turned in. Now I will begin adding having her look at Power School herself every night to see what is due and make a record of it. I've also asked for advice from her teachers. They probably think I'm a tyrant. And I sort of feel like one. But I know kids who begin to fail and parents who blow it off end up ruining their school careers. That scares me. We won't likely have the money to pay for college for her (to my shame) and I don't want her to start life out with a bunch of education debts. I keep hoping for a scholarship, an academic one, when she graduates. Even if it's just a partial. So I want her to do as well as she can - as well as I know she is capable of. But I don't want to defeat her by being on her all the time about it, either.
Guess I could use come parenting advice from someone who's been there - if you'd care to throw in your two cents worth. I hope I'm not taking out my stress and frustration with our financial situation on her over school, too. I'm trying to pull in and run a check on myself. I want her to be happy and feel great about her accomplishments - that's all I really want.
3 comments:
Hi K,
i have found myself in a similar situation with Cait..esp as i am right there in the school and see and hear more than i did before.
cait has always done well without really having to push herself to get good grades..
i dont want her to just settle for a grade when she could do better with more effort.. Cait is unorganised also and often i speak to her teacher or find out through the school when things are due and then have to remind her.
i think we only want the best for our kids and yes there is a fine line between wanting the best and being a tyrant.
i know you arent a tyrant thats for sure.. its better to be a parent who cares than one one who doesnt my friend.
hugs bell :)
Thank you for the reassurance, Bell. It's nice to just hear someone else is dealing with the same things. Sometimes Jay says I do too much for her reminding her of papers to turn in all the time and such, but I think she's too young to be expected to remember everything when I could help her out here at home.
I did my time visiting with Rachel's teachers when I was at her grade school, too. It's a lot of help, that's for sure.
Hugs,
K
checking in to see whats happening in your world.
Hope all is well.
hugs bell :)
Post a Comment