My heart is so heavy these last few weeks. So much to deal with and so much sorrow and anger. I am feeling lost in my soul and sometimes feel as though life is too exhausting to endure. But I cannot show weakness, or anger, or sorrow, or regret, or anything that might be construed as negative. For if I do, everything around me shatters and falls.
I get up each day and force a smile on my face, pretend the world is not so heavy and painful to carry. Despite her allegations that I do not, I do understand the feeling my daughter describes of being in a dark, deep well. I've been living there for a while now. If you say anything to anyone, the advice is, go see a therapist, get some help. But I have tried that and I cannot do it. I cannot release it. And so I do what I have done a good chunk of my life. I put that smile on and pretend. I repeat to myself over and over, like a mantra, I am happy. Life is good.
And so I travel through life with a pot of boiling water about to spill and scald my hands. It is a precarious walk I must adhere to every waking hour. And in sleep, I pray for quiet, a dreamland of silence and nothingness. Just so I can have some peace.
Have you ever let your daydreams take you away so you could feel good and excited about the possibilities in life? I used to use those, take them like candy, to alleviate the sadness. But even that does not work for me anymore. And every little thing is just a crushing down of my light, leaving me deeper and deeper in the darkness.
I have chosen to end a friendship that was clearly bad for me for a long time. I cannot believe the relief I feel in the release of obligation. It has made things so much easier. The hardest part was that I had ended it on my side some time ago but had not told her. And when I did, I was so emotionally weak from the dark chamber that I cried when I told her. Of course, she thought it was at the loss of the friendship that brought the tears, And I let her think it to not hurt her. But it was just the release of the crushing weight it had laid on my shoulders for far too long. I should have told her before I got sick. But I was afraid to hurt her feelings. Whether someone is a friend, a co-worker, a boss, a neighbor, an acquaintance, it is never easy to hurt someone. It is never something you want to do. But it has given me a much-needed space to breathe in. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Even writing this now, speaking to myself in the one solace I find in life - writing - reminds me of that lifting of weight. How sad that a friendship can become such a burden to carry. But they can when you do not choose carefully and do not allow yourself to see a person for who they really are. The funny thing is, a co-worker warned me, and I still bull-headedly moved forward. Lesson learned. Let her - or them - think it has all been whatever they think it is. Because all it really is for me is better.
No comments:
Post a Comment