Friday, July 24, 2009

Mr Gorgeous

I am LOVING the gym. Rachel is, too. And I can't think of a better support system than my daughter. It's been a bonding experience and it's been a good, healthy treat for both of us. Yes, I said a treat. Because it is. We went the first day and there were only a handful of people in there working out. We checked out the treadmill first, to see how it worked. Then we actually worked out on it! Then we tried the stationary bike, recumbent bike and the elliptical. The elliptical and I are not friends. I found it difficult, maybe because I'm a klutz. Whatever the reason, it's not something I'm pushing to achieve.

We worked out 2 days in a row and took the weekend off. On the following Tuesday, we had one of our two free trainer sessions. That's when we met him. Ah, yes. The memory lingers....his white teeth and endearing smile. His dark, slightly wavy hair. His muscled - but not too muscled - body. bbbrrrrruuuuppppptttt **Sound of scratching a needle across a record as I come to my senses**
I am clearly old enough to be his mother. And on the plus side, he is too old for my daughter. But I have deemed him Mr. Gorgeous or Mr. G for short. Just not to his face. Can you imagine?

He earnestly wants to help me get healthy and is surprisingly knowledgeable about physiology and skeletal structure. He nailed my physical issues without any hints from me just watching me do some squats. "You turn your feet out to the side. That's from poor hip rotation. Your right leg is slightly shorter than your left because your hip is up (here I explain that when my back is out, as it has been for some time, that's what happens). Your right shoulder is weak and range of motion poor, has it been injured? (Yes, I admit, from my ribs popping out of place on that side). All of these things lead to poor posture. We're going to work on that." And so we do. In my two sessions with Mr. G, he's given me exercises that have strengthened my core and my back. My posture is already improving. In addition to those targeted exercises which take about 20 minutes, I do cardio of some kind, usually the treadmill. Rachel does all these with me, then pushes herself on the treadmill by running in intervals. Sometimes, she said, she might go do the bike which I'm not fond of because it hurts my backside after about 10 minutes. But it's been fun and while she was on her trek with the youth of our church and some adult leaders/helpers, I went to the gym by myself. It was a little tougher. I definitely missed her. But I did it! Monday we'll get back in the swing of things by going every day next week.

Now, if I can just find someone to join this gym, I'll get 3 more free trainer sessiions, I just found out Thursday. I'm looking.

No comments: