Sunday, July 12, 2009

Gyming It

So I was cleaning the pit up a couple of weeks ago and went to throw out some trash when this flyer ad for a fitness place came up. It said it was $3.00 a week?!?!!?!?! Well, I'm thinking, "there is NO WAY. Just no way." I set it on my desk and looked at it every day for a few days. Then I noticed it had an expiration date on it. I called. "Yes," said the woman who answered, "It really is $3.00 a week. Yes, it's got equipment in it to work out on. Yes, it's a real deal. Can I set you up for an appointment with Ross?" I stammered, "Well, I...I...guess. Maybe. Is it busy around....well, in the afternoons around 2:30 or so?" "It's practically empty!!" she said, with more enthusiasm than I would have expected. From anyone. My suspicions immediately grew. "Are you sure?" "Why, there's practically no one in here that time of day!" she said again with fffeeeellliinngg. "This will sound like a strange question, but is everyone in there all fit and thin and stuff? I mean, I'm obese, okay? And I don't want to feel uncomfortable or anything," I said. "No, no, no. We have all kinds of people come in here - very fit, just beginning - the whole works" "Okay. I'll come by and check it out." Faster than I could finish my sentence, she asked, "Is tomorrow at 2:15 p.m. a good time?" "Yeah, sure," I said, not feeling sure at all. I went to work the next day and mentioned it to my co-workers. "Oh, that place is ALWAYS jam packed. I've never seen it empty any time I've driven by." I felt my heart sink a little. Because I really need something to push me to exercise every day. It's hotter than a skillet on the blazing fire in our house these days and I just CAN'T workout in that heat. Shoot, I can barely stand it sitting still with a fan blowing on me. But I can't afford to go back to Curves which had really done some great stuff for me.

That afternoon, I hurried to my car about 5 minutes later than I intended. So I arrived about 5 minutes late. I hate that. I like to be a little early to everything. When I pulled into the parking lot, I saw a bunch of people in the windows working out. Okay, well not a bunch, but I could see a good 15 or so there. I sat in the car thinking I should leave. Then I told myself, "What the heck? If I don't go in, I'm letting myself and Rachel down," because I was planning to sign her up, too, since it's so cheap. And I deserve something....something for myself from the money I make, right? So I got out of the car.

On approach, an older woman, maybe early 60's and about 40-50 pounds overweight, came walking out the door. I felt my confidence lift just a bit. Inside I saw a woman working with a trainer who had probably 80 pounds to lose. Then there were you usual 20-somethings, maybe younger and mostly male, lifting weights (while they watched themselves in the mirror). That part made me want to laugh.

The run down - no amenities, just exercise equipment - treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes and recumbent bikes (which don't hurt your backside), some sort of torture equipment....I mean stairsteppers....and both weight machines and free weights. I was sort of impressed. I was told it was a high volume day since it was the 1st day after a holiday weekend and people feeling guilty were in to work off their sins. Funny, I thought you had to pray for forgiveness for that. Anyway, The $3.00 a week/$12.00 a month was for limited useage/days, but I wheeled and dealed and we're both in for $24.00 a month now with 2 personal trainer freebie sessions thrown in with the cute, although young enough to be my son, trainer Constantine. We've been twice, plan to go all next week. We both love it and I'm feeling good.

No comments: