Friday, November 21, 2014

Growing Up

What is a mother to do when her only child is six days away from turning 18?  Well, I've cried a little bit - because this signals that she is entering adulthood, though in so many ways we have some time yet.  But changes abound at every turn.

She has a first love.  He is a sweet, kind, cute, farm-boy type of young man and he is very fond of her, too.

She is beginning to make serious plans for after high school.

She is dreading growing up - because it's kind of scary. 

This girl, this almost woman, has filled all my dreams and expectations of being a mother.  She was wanted and waited for all my life until I was blessed, at age 35, to hold her tiny body in my arms.  She was so worth the C-section!  She was so worth the 23 hours of labor, two hours of pushing until I was beyond exhaustion and then to hold her in my arms finally.  Now my little one, my little ray of sunshine, is grown up.  I am sad to see the childhood pass but excited to see what her future holds.  One thing I know for sure:  My little girl will keep on shining!

No comments: