Monday, August 18, 2014

What Constitutes An Emergency

Every household deals with things specific to them.  Sometimes it's that two particular siblings argue about keeping a shared room clean (I was the clean one, Kandi was the slob).  Sometimes it's that the old apartment in the attic area of a house where you rent has a floor so slanted, you lean when you sit on the toilet and can't fill the tub up all the way because is will poor out on one side (yep, an apartment I once rented when I lived in Greeley).  Or it could be about someone's pet peeve, a car that always seems to have problems, the hair spray that gets on the bathroom mirror and smears when you clean it off.  Only the first two apply to my life, but the point is, everyone has an issue or two to deal with all the time.  Around here, it's not having my daughter's computer working.

She really does get very panicked and upset if her computer is on the blitz.  Because of her depression and anxiety, she has found a safe haven in her on-line friends and some of the games she plays.  Shoot, she's even teaching herself to create on-line games.  So, yeah, you would have to say there is some pretty significant attachment for her there.  And wouldn't you know, in the last two weeks, going on the blitz is exactly what happened.  And it wasn't pretty, folks!

This is our Emergency around here!

The first time it was that her power source - whatever the heck that's called - was going out.  Jay happened to be home at the time and so Daddy swooped in and saved the day while she was at school and I was at work.  New power supply.  Last night, I caught a whiff of something burning and sure enough, it was Rachel's computer again.  This time, it was the graphics card.  Again, Daddy was the hero, swooped in and found out what was wrong.  Off to Micro Center to get a new graphics card.  Her original one was very powerful and I was worried about finding something affordable.  But a lot changes in 3 or 4 years.  The earlier replaced power supply ended up being necessary for the replacement graphics card AND - get this - within our price range!!  Again, Daddy was the hero who replaced it for her.  It was only $60.00 and is better than the old card was.  Amazing!  She's pleased, to say the least.

Some people might read this and think, "Who cares about your kid not having her computer?"  Well, there is likely something that's a big deal in your home that I can't grasp, too.  It's all about dynamics in the home.  I feel lucky that she doesn't smoke, drink, do drugs, is terrified to have sex......Yeah, seriously and that's fine with me.  She's a great kid.  So if a little bit of extra effort keeps her connected to friends she's met on line (one she's been friends with since she was in 4th grade and I've met her mom 'over the camera on the computer'), it's worth it.  Happiness comes in many shades.

No comments: