Rachel and I were talking tonight and something she said made an old memory pop back into my head from my childhood.
When I was a teen, we lived in a trailer on the edge of a small town. Across from our house to the east was a basement that had been dug for a new house to be built on but it had set there a long time before anything further was actually done.
My parents, my younger sister and I were all home at the time and the weather changed in a manner that caused us to step outside and look to see if there was a tornado in the area. This may sound insane "to one who has been long in city pent" (John Keats, 1884), but to us, it was a normal practice. Sure enough, as we looked to the northwest, not one but two twisters were heading at a diagonal directly toward the trailer park we lived in. We asked my dad, "What are we going to do?" And he calmly replied we would run across the street to the dug out basement and lay flat in it. Immediately, we asked if we should go now. He replied, "No, wait for it." I think back to that now and it makes me laugh.
He said this in a normal, calm voice with little inflection but all I can think of now is hearing it like this:
Thanks to my daughter for helping me get this recording on here. I would have never figured it out!!
No comments:
Post a Comment