Friday, January 8, 2010

What Global Warming?????

It's been cold here. Very, very cold. We're in the single digits and minus temps Fahrenheit, so we're talking in the range of -25 to -10 Celsius for my Aussie and Canadian friends. And right now, due to an infected blister on my left foot, I can't wear socks or closed shoes. I'm living in the lovely (and warm, thankfully) clog-type slippers my hubby got me for Christmas until I get the okay from the doctor for regular shoes and some socks again. I have a case of cold feet - literally.

There has been a very cold series of days over the last couple of months across the United States. I can barely keep up with local weather, so I can't say how the rest of the world is faring in this area, but the U.S. is having one heck of a winter. It's been interesting because these are the winters of my childhood - the seasons when snow stayed on the ground for days or weeks at a time and the days stayed cold. In the last 20 - 30 years, approximately, Colorado winters have been quite mild. We would have a snow day and a day later it warmed enough to totally melt it away. It's one of the things I love about this State, although in all honesty, I am enjoying having a "real" winter this year.

Climatologists say this is the natural ebb and flow way of the weather. It moves in twenty - thirty year cycles. Twenty - thirty years of colder weather followed by twenty - thirty years of warmer weather. I'd love to post studies by some climatologists but the fact is, someone else could find just as many studies to the opposite by other scientists (though few of those would be climatologists who specialize in this area).

So how did I come to the conclusion that allows me to believe Global Warming is baloney to the degree that Al Gore (the man who alleges he invented the Internet) and other scientists have touted? Doctrine and Covenants 104:17 says:
"For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves."

This tells me we will have enough on this earth as long as we are "agents unto" the earth. We are its stewards and must care for it as best we can. I am willing to live "green" to the extent that it does not cause undue difficulty in my or my family's life. I use the "new" light bulbs, I watch our waste of things and limit it as best I can, etc. But I will continue to drive me car to get from place to place and when they become affordable and reliable, I'd even be willing to go to a hybrid or electric car. But I have faith that in doing what I can, as I do, "the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare".

2 comments:

rocslinger said...

It's good to know that I am in agreement with you considering I have to live with you and would have to suffer an ultra green lifestyle otherwise

Kerri said...

Ha! Saved, eh?