Thursday, October 19, 2017

Doing Something More

I've got a lot on my mind.  Too much to write anything sensible and to stay on topic, so I'm just going to say that being empty nesters is not so bad.  For the first time since I was single, I'm doing some things just because I've always wanted to do them.

I'm actually taking piano lessons and really loving it!  It's been so much fun and brings back the most precious memories of growing up and having family sing-a-longs with my mom playing the piano.  My oldest sister played guitar.  We sang at every family gathering.  We sang even when we were at someone else's place and there was a piano.  I'm moving through the lessons quickly and hoping to be able to play some Christmas Carols by December.

I'm also going to make a job change.  I'm really nervous about that, though.  I'm going to take an online accounting class to refresh and probably learn a few new things, then find a job as a remote bookkeeper.  That way I can stay at home to work and I won't have to stress about a job when we move to Utah in the next few months.  I love what I do now, but since I was sick - despite working my tail off during tax season to prove I can still be a great employee - I'm no longer valued that way.  No, that's not just what I think.  It's what's been said to me, on more than one occasion.  And indicated that my boss wants me to leave.  There is a lot of garbage there I don't want to talk about at this point, but let's just say it's shown me some true colors in someone I'd been warned about but choose not to believe.  I do now.  Meh.

Anyway, I'm reading more and I started a children's book series I'm going to try to finish no later than January.  I'm just desperately trying to carve out the time for keeping up the house, taking the dogs to the dog park or for walks (they totally prefer the park), practicing piano, doing some reading - which is a must when you want to write, it really is - and finding time for other people who need me.  Read husband and daughter (even though she's moved out and working as a live-in nanny, she still needs her mom a lot).

It feels good to have some time to myself.  I'm excited about the move and working from home, too.  It will cut out any commute time and I'll be here for our pets.  Hey, I'm a writer.  I like being home!

No comments: