Saturday, August 6, 2016

Darkness

A poem I wrote for one of my writing groups. The subject was depression:


Darkness crowds me
Takes my breath and crushes
I reach up but feel only pain...
And pressure

Hands offered are unseen
The darkness so encompasses me
"I cannot save myself"
My spirit cries
Not this time
Not from this pain

My mind betrays me
And brings only self-loathing
My body, my enemy
In this cave of silence
From which only I scream
Shall I ever walk in lit streets again?
Shall I ever see the joy I know stands outside this prison
A prison deep in my soul?

And yet, one does finally break through
He is light, peace, and joy
Finally, I lay my pain down
And walk away until it rises
Once again

By Kerri Gray Jesmer

Copyrighted.  All rights reserved.  Do not use without permission.  This is the sole property of the author, Kerri Gray Jesmer.


No comments: