Both my parents are in a nursing home - together, thankfully. But both suffer from dementia and speaking over the phone, because they live in Texas now, is difficult, at best. My dad can barely string a sentence together. In fact, it often consists of the simply phrase, "That's good, that thing, yeah." My mother is difficult to understand over the phone as she slurs her words from Parkinson's disease. Now she's bedridden, too, and barely taking any food. My sister's been told that soon she will not take any food and will just drink. Then she will just sip and eventually take nothing at all. It's just a matter of time.
On the one hand, this will be a blessing as my parents have little quality of life. On the other hand, we're talking about losing my parents, and despite the diffcult relationship growing up, it has been so much better as an adult. I already miss talking to my mom. When my marriage nearly ended, I didn't have her to talk to. With my daughter's new challenges, I cannot share them with her. She doesn't remember or understand, really. I just tell her everything is good for us all the time. I know what is best in my mind. Now if my heart could just move there with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment