Sunday, June 8, 2008

And Then It Was Done


Ahhhhh, Monday was 5th grade continuation or graduation - which ever you're inclined to call it. I worked the morning in my usual spot - greeting kids and sending them on to breakfast or back outside to line up. Then I hung around and got most of the graduation parents signed in, badges on them and sent them to get seated in the gym with Jay holding our seats. I got a lot of compliments from kids and parents because I was in a dress for the first time ever at school. My feet were especially painful from shoes other than tennis shoes until my friend, T, brought me a chair. It was really nice of her and my feet felt better. After the graduation, when my camcorder which is older than the hills decided to die during, we said good-bye to the office women and lunch ladies and Rachel gave them gifts with sweet poems attached that she had written. And we walked away with promises to come back to visit which may never happen, but everyone says, "sure we will". Rachel got a little sentimental. I will miss all the people I worked with but two - one who was a pill and caused me great stress and pain and one who was/is a phony if I ever met one and I don't care to see again. I'll miss all the kids the most, though. I really did love that job and had it not been so rough on my feet and the worst of the worst circumstances hadn't occurred because of a jealous, hateful burned out co-worker, I would have stayed another year. But, it is behind me now.

We started the new swim team Monday night after graduation. Wouldn't you know it, though it's quite far from our home, walking in the gate I heard, "Hi, Mrs. J!" It was one of my 3rd graders. Go figure. Rachel was nervous but that passed once she was in the water and she immediately made 2 friends and a 3rd one on Wednesday. She is happy there and I am releived that she is on this team that seems so good at training kids to swim well and excites them to go fast. They use fins to practice and Rachel LOVES the speed those fins give her. It will help encourage her to swim faster for the meets, I believe. We have her own fins, team swim cap and tee shirt, the team swimsuit for the meets and 2 swimsuits to wear for practice. So, we're all set. Her first meet is in Greeley, where my oldest sister and her husband live and my parents will still be here visiting, so I am trying to work it out so we can all go see her swim. None of them has EVER seen her in any of the sports she has played in except my brother, Kevin, who saw her play soccer when she was little and my parents saw her at swim lessons once when she was very young. I'm hoping no one backs out and disappoints her - though it wouldn't be the first time.

Yes, lots of different emotions for me when I'm around my family, though we do a lot of laughing and I avoid any arguments by just not having an opinion about much of anything. Wish it could be different, but it is what it is.

Anyway, enough for now. I'm off to bed.

No comments: